Bare Skin Care - whether you have dry and itchy, or oily and acne, our line of natural extract organic skin care products will bring out your skin’s true beauty!

Photo by Frazer Harrison/Getty Images

Mold - A Modern-Day Health Concern

Whereas molds are part of the natural outdoor environment -- helping to break down organic matter such as fallen leaves and dead trees, mold growth indoors should be avoided.  Indoor molds have the potential to cause health problems. Molds produce allergens, irritants, and in some cases, potentially toxic substances (mycotoxins).  Inhaling or touching mold or mold spores may cause allergic reactions in sensitive individuals.  Allergic responses to mold are common, and may include hay fever-type symptoms, such as sneezing, runny nose, red eyes, and skin rash (dermatitis). Molds can also cause asthma attacks in people with asthma who are allergic to mold. In addition, mold exposure can irritate the eyes, skin, nose, throat, and lungs of both mold-allergic and non-allergic people.

Researchers from University Hospital of Besancon (France) studied 500 rooms in 128 houses across France.  The team found that mold buildup was most reliably correlated to factors such as the floor on which the room was located, the efficiency of the ventilation system, type of heating system used, and past water damage. Interestingly, the researchers found that the concentrations of mold in bathroom air were no higher than in bedrooms, kitchens, or living rooms. They did, however, find that 18% of rooms with no visible molds or smell were, in actuality, highly contaminated.

Because mold can be hidden behind walls or under carpets, it is important for homeowners to be vigilant as to maintaining a dry and well-ventilated premises for dwelling.


Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Please note, comments must be approved before they are published